Church Membership (Article IV of the Crossroads Covenant)
Section 1 - Church Membership: People become "members" of the world-wide Church of Jesus Christ at the moment they believe in and commit their lives to Him as Savior and Lord.
"Membership" in a particular local church is first determined by God (1 Cor 12:18).
Secondly, membership is an interdependent covenant relationship between believers in which they choose to obey God's will and join together as a community of Christ followers.
As a faith community we will support and encourage one another toward personal spiritual maturity and unite our gifts in carrying out God's Great Commission and God's Great Commandment.
Membership involves active participation in the ministry of the church (1 Corinthians 12); so that every "member" having received the living water of Jesus is also a "minister" who shares the living water with others. (Matt. 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Eph. 4:11-16 ; 1 Peter 2:1-10).
The Bible clarifies that there is just one global church and all who profess faith in Jesus Christ as Savior are members (Ephesians 4:1-6).
We believe God builds the global church by intentionally placing people in a specific local church according to God's desire and purposes for that specific fellowship (1 Corinthians 12:18).
Each member is personally responsible to seek to develop and express their gifts if the church is to maximize its potential local and global impact in Christ.
Section 2 - Responsibilities of all Members : Members will be personally and actively engaged in carrying out the mission of Crossroads Christian Fellowship as expressed in the Crossroads Membership Covenant:
As believers in Jesus Christ and seeking to conform ourselves to Him in every aspect of our lives, and by joining together in a Christian community we call "Crossroads Christian Fellowship," we pledge to the best of our ability, as the Holy Spirit enables us, to glorify God by . . .
- by practicing public and private worship;
- by living obediently unto Christ as instructed by the Bible;
- by returning to God a regular portion of the resources He gives us.
- by cultivating healthy relationships with friends, family members, and co-workers;
- by demonstrating the love of God through intentional acts of kindness and service;
- by sharing the good news of God's loving offer of forgiveness of sin and relationship with Him.
Building the Church:
- by loving fellow Christians in spite of personal differences;
- by sharing with others as our resources match their needs;
- by modeling personal growth in relationship with Jesus Christ and encouraging others in their spiritual growth.
Section 3 - Criteria/Qualifications for Church Membership: Any person professing saving faith in Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior, who is in agreement with the faith and practices held by Crossroads, and who agrees to sign the Church Covenant, may be admitted into active membership.
- by using our gifts (the manifestation of God's Spirit for the common good), talents and abilities in ministry;
- by providing opportunities for others to develop and use their gifts and abilities in ministry;
- by supporting ministries locally and globally through prayer and personal involvement.
A person may initiate membership in Crossroads Christian Fellowship by speaking to any Leadership Team member or one of the Pastor(s).
BYLAW: Process for Admission to Church Membership
Crossroads Christian Fellowship welcomes a person into active membership by one of the following ways:
- Have personally committed their lives to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and have publicly professed their commitment.
- Have shared their Christian experience with a representative group of Church leaders (as long as there are at least three leaders in attendance), and upon recommendation of the leaders, have been welcomed by majority vote of Crossroad's members. New member vote may take place at any Sunday service without prior notice to the church.
- Have signed the church covenant.